Monday, November 3, 2008

"Stars" and more!

Happy November!

It is the 'eve' of the most anticipated day in America. I'm excited to be a part of this election and am proud to say that I voted for the first time! As the candidates have been busy traveling, so have I. The past couple of weeks have been filled with some really neat appearances that I am happy to share with you!

On October 23 I attended the "Hollywood Welcomes the Stars" event in Hollywood, FL. It was a fundraiser for the Boys and Girls Clubs in Broward County hosted by Wayne and Marti Huizenga. What a fun party! I was truly honored to attended such a prestigious event and be in the great company of such celebrities as Channing Crowder (Miami Dolphins linebacker), Jerry Mathers (Leave It To Beaver), Tina Louise ("Ginger" from Gilligan's Island), and Lesley Visser (Renowned female sportscaster). The highlight of the night was meeting and dancing on stage with former Monkee, Davy Jones! It was inspiring to see so many "big names" who care about the youth in our country and offer very generous support. I enjoyed learning about the Boys and Girls Club and how perfectly it ties into my personal platform!

Being interviewed on the Red Carpet!
With Channing Crowder

With fellow Florida beauty queen, Anastagia Pierre (Miss Florida USA 2009)

After my trip to Hollywood it was back to the West Coast for the "Doorways" Scholarship Celebration in St. Petersburg. It was exciting to be a part of an event that awarded 144 6th grade students with "Florida Pre-paid" scholarships to attend a four-year university upon graduation from high school. I had the opportunity to address the students, parents, and Pinellas County school faculty and sing "I Have A Dream" from Mamma Mia.


With Mayor Rick Baker and Lori Matway, School Programs Administrator

My next stop was at Summit Christian School in my hometown of Fort Myers. I was invited to speak to a group of young girls at the kick-off of their new group G.E.M.S. (Girls Everywhere Meeting their Savior). What a special event! I was told that the girls were very excited that Miss Florida was coming and it was apparent when they arrived - some were super shy and others marched right up to greet me! They were so precious and were very attentive as I shared how they, too, are Princesses because they are daughters of the King. I was surprised to receive a beautiful frame and two bouquets of flowers at the end of the evening - one was real and the other consisted of homemade flowers from the girls! As I said goodbye to their beautiful faces I was truly reminded of how priceless this experience and this position really is.



After my visit to Fort Myers I returned to St. Pete and attended an exciting rally for the Rays! The Bay area is SO proud of the team and it was a great opportunity to celebrate their success. I must admit I was a little 'star-struck' to meet some of the players like Carlos Pena and the team manager and football great, Joe Maddon! They were so down-to-earth and very gracious to all of the fans who came out to show their support. We are all looking forward to next year! Go Rays!

With Joe Maddon

And that brings me to today! I spent this absolutely beautiful day at the Red Cross Golf Scramble at the Renaissance Vinoy Golf Club. I assisted with the Putting Contest and soaked up some Florida sunshine! I had a wonderful time meeting the golfers and helping raise money for the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Red Cross. They are called upon DAILY to provide relief to the citizens in the Bay area and are hard at work to ensure they fulfill that calling.



This week I start my Right Decision, Right Now tour. This 20-school tour will educate middle school students about making healthy choices in regards to peer pressure and tobacco use. I can't wait to meet students from all over the state!

Blessings!
Sierra

No comments: