Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Days go by...

Greetings!

The past few weeks have been very busy and this past week was no different! Last Thursday I traveled to my school, Palm Beach Atlantic University, to sing the National Anthem at American Free Enterprise Day. I had such a wonderful time. It was so much fun to be back on campus and feel the amazing support from administrators, professors, and classmates. I was able to see a lot of my friends who I have been missing terribly! It was so refreshing to spend time with people who really know me as Sierra and accompanied me on the journey to Miss Florida. It was also fun to feel like a college kid again! Although I've only been absent for a matter of months, it feels like forever since I was a student!

With Deborah Bowmar-Jaffe, Director of Alumni Relations and my amazing PBA liason!

On my way to West Palm I was able to stop and meet up with two of my Princesses at the Wellington Mall. It was so nice to see their beautiful, smiling faces and spend some quality time with them. They showed me their new sashes that Shelby's grandmother made. They are adorable and compliment my sash very nicely! I can't wait to wear them together!

Getting massages in the chairs at Brookstone...we didn't want to leave!


On Saturday I traveled to New Smyrna Beach for the "Boyland" event at First Baptist Church of New Smyrna. I teamed up with Andrea Stephens for the third time and spoke to around 200 middle and high school girls about how to celebrate being "single"! I refered to our single years as a "gift" and encouraged them to allow God to lead their love lives and make sure they take advantage of their years of singleness by pursuing their unique passions and goals.

I used the fact that I am "Miss" Florida as an example of the neat way God has been able to use me while I wait for the guy He has for me.

In addition to my talk, Andrea spoke on the differences between guys and girls, gave dating tips, and taught the girls about self-respect and purity. To conclude the conference the beautiful and talented Jeni Varnadeau, a recording artist from Nashville, performed a concert. The girls really responded...after all, what girl doesn't like talking about guys?


Did I mention my mom and little sis came? We had some great girl time together!

The following day I drove to Orlando to meet up with Mary and go to Becky Bangert's house to discuss some changes on my talent costume. It was great to see Becky and it didn't take us long to work out the kinks! Then Mary and I checked into a hotel downtown and met up with David Gilbert and some of his co-workers for dinner at Houston's. I really enjoyed spending time with David and meeting his lovely girl friends.

The next day we met Chris at Copperhead for a hair cut/color. It was about time! It is always great to see Chris and his new wife, Jen. We had a wonderful time and my hair turned out magnificent as always! Then it was off to Deanna Meredith's for a photo shoot. We borrowed some dresses from Regalia and had a ball! Leslie Ann did my hair and make-up and I really liked it. I can't wait to see the proofs!

That evening I dropped Mary off at the Tampa airport and I headed home to St. Pete. I am so thankful for my host family and how wonderful it has been to live in their home. Tuesday was an "off" day, which basically means no official appearances, but let's face it...no day is an "off"day! I always have plenty to do: work out, practice my dance, tan, keep up with my email, and tie up any loose ends that have accumulated. I am growing so much as I continue to absorb all that it means to be Miss Florida.

On Wednesday afternoon I participated in the Great American Teach-In, a county-wide event where professionals from all sorts of careers visit public schools and share about their job/hobby. I went to John Hopkins Middle School and told them about the Miss America Organization and what the job of Miss Florida entails. Part of me thinks it went over their heads (especially the boys!), but I did notice a lot of girls who were really listening and I incorporated some fun activities to help the students stay engaged. I showed a slideshow of pictures of various appearances, used volunteers to simulate the On-Stage Question competition, and sang a song to demonstrate the Talent competition.


My visit to JHMS was a clear confirmation of my passion for middle schoolers. I was so excited just to be there and have the opportunity to interact with the students. It is obvious that a lot of them hide behind very thick walls, but watching even the tiniest crack form makes it all worth the while. :)


As we move into the Holiday season I look forward to more appearances and continued preparation for January. I am going to Miss America! I can hardly stand the anticipation, but am savoring every moment because I know it is once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Thank you for your continued support and prayers. May God bless you all!

With love,
Sierra

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sierra- I wanted to thank you for coming to New Smyrna earlier this month. One of the girls in my youth group was really touched by your "gift of being single" talk and has chosen to make some changes in her current relationship, she even had the courage to share with our small group those changes and new choices she was making.

Keep sharing and seeking God- He has truly blessed you with a platform to reach girls not only with positive values but godly ones. I will be praying for you and am working on my BABE event recap for my blog... running a bit behind... Look forward to seeing you on TV in Jan. Praying for you, Michelle