Monday, November 10, 2008

"Some girls make magazine covers..."

Greetings!

It's Tuesday night and Mary and I just finished looking over my swimsuit options for Miss America! One step closer to January...!

Last Wednesday night Mary, Lynne Dalton, and I spent the evening at an event for "Visit St. Pete/Clearwater" where they distributed latest travel magazine with my picture on the cover! They used a picture from the photo shoot on Caledesi Island in August and placed really neat graphics of area landmarks inside the lenses of my sunglasses, like a reflection. It was fun to see the finished product and have the opportunity to sign the magazines for the guests!


With D.T. Minich, Executive Director - Visit St. Pete/Clearwater



Immediately after the event Mary and I headed to the Tampa airport to catch a flight to Miami because I had to be at my first Right Decisions, Right Now school at 9am on Thursday morning! Although we didn't get home until almost midnight, I was really thankful we didn't have to drive! On Thursday morning we went to Hammocks Middle School where I ended up presenting to two groups of about 200 students each. What a thrill! I really enjoyed the opportunity to speak on a subject that I am passionate about and to an age group that I really have a heart for. At this school I had the chance to interact with some of the students in between presentations and grew especially fond of a group of girls from the dance department. I was even able to go to their class and they performed for me! The highlight of this school was getting to talk about the promise ring I wear on my ring finger to symbolize my commitment to save sex until marriage. (Some of the girls were wondering why I was wearing a ring on that finger when they learned that I don't have a boyfriend!) I saw some surprised reactions, but then a round of applause! Praise God!


With the dancing queens!

With Mrs. Brodie, Career Counselor, and the beautiful roses she gave me

On Friday night I attended the Pineapple Gala hospital fundraiser in Homestead. I was accompanied by Ann Marie Griffin and her friend Terri. Miss Homestead, Janae DeLeon, was there as well and sang three beautiful songs! It was fun to see her and enjoy her talent. My job was to model a necklace from Mayors Jewelers that was being raffled off as a fundraiser. It was over 1k in diamonds, set in 18k white gold, valued at $4900! It was beautiful and definitely the most expensive thing I've ever worn! At the end of the night I had to give it up, but I helped raise $10,000 for Homestead Hospital through the selling of the raffle tickets!

Acting as the product model for Mayors!

With Ann Marie Griffin, Janae DeLeon - Miss Homestead, and Mrs. Evelyn McLean

On Monday I was back on the RDRN trail as Mary and I headed to Ammons Middle School. I was greeted with a warm welcome and proceeded to the cafeteria to set up for my presentation. The schedule at this school was a little bit tighter, so I didn't have as much time to chat casually with the students, but a few of them came up to thank me at the end. That really meant a lot because I knew that I reached at least a few students!



Overall I feel like my first two schools were a success! I always find it interesting to watch how the students react to different parts of my message, but I think my personal stories make the biggest impression by far. I am so thankful for the opportunity to use my experiences to teach and inspire youth to recognize their value and do the right thing.

Until next time...

God bless!
Sierra

2 comments:

Michelle Montesino said...

Way to go Sierra, you make us all so proud!!! Best of luck at Miss America. I know you'll shine like the star you are :-)

Love,
Michelle Montesino
Miss FIU 2008

Unknown said...

I want to be on a magazine cover! Time to go to www.FakeMagazineCover.com and upload a photo...