Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Big Apple!

Hi there!

This post is long over due, but I must share my incredible trip to New York City! Exactly one week after I returned from LA, Mary and I hopped on a plane to NYC and arrived just in time for my first private lesson with Shea. With the new 90 second time limit for Miss America, my dance had to be shortened about 20 seconds. We also had to have a completely original recording made for TV purposes. Between Lea Delaria's (played the role on Broadway) interpretation of the song and Shea's amazing eye for choreography, we came up with some really neat changes and I feel really good about the dance!

Right after my first lesson with Shea, Mary and I quickly got ready to go see Legally Blonde, The Musical! It was so fun! And of course we were especially excited because Kate Shindle, Miss America 1998, played Vivienne Kensington! We met her at the Stage Door after the show and she gave us a tour of the Palace Theatre, including her dressing room! She also gave me a Legally Blonde poster signed by the entire cast! It was such a great night and reminded me of why I love Theatre so much!




When we left the Theatre Mary and I decided to get something to eat at a little Irish pub around the corner where they were airing the Rays/Red Sox game. We had some delicious soup and watched the game, rooting for the Rays! (Unfortunately they lost...but then won to qualify for the World Series!! Go Rays!)


The next morning we woke up and geared up for a day of shopping! I followed Mary's lead as she navigated through big department stores and fun little shops. And what's a shopping trip in NYC without a stop on Canal Street? Well, it was my first time going down there and it was quite an experience! There were so many people and so much stuff, I didn't even know where to begin! Before long it was time to get back to midtown for one last session with Shea.




On our final day in the City we had brunch with Shauna Pender, Miss Florida 2003, along with her boyfriend, her sister, and her sister's fiance. We had a wonderful time and it was so nice to see Shauna! The quality of her character and her heart for others shined so brightly as we enjoyed our brunch together.


Mary and I returned to Miami just in time to watch the Rays qualify for the World Series! It was so exciting! Since our return I have been busy with appearances, which I will share with you in my next entry!

Love,
Sierra

No comments: