Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Kids and Crowns

Hello!

Since my last post I made two very special appearances. I had the honor of visiting my elementary school for their Career Day and 5th Grade Graduation/Awards Ceremony! It was so neat to be back at Three Oaks! For Career Day I spoke to three groups of 5th grade girls about my job as Miss Florida. They were very excited and attentive and, apparently, the boys were jealous! They, however, did get a chance to meet me at the Awards Ceremony a few days later.

With my former teacher, Mrs. Costigan

At the Awards Ceremony I had a very enthusiastic welcome as I spoke briefly to the students about what to expect when they go to middle school and how important it is to believe in yourself, respect others, and make good decisions. I enjoyed watching each of the students receive their awards as hundreds of memories from my own elementary years raced through my mind.

With the 5th grade teachers, old and new

Afterward I took pictures with the students and, for the first time, signed some of the boys' foreheads!! (With their parents' permission of course!)


All in all, it was such a neat experience. It was amazing to realize how much I have done since I was at Three Oaks and to see the pending potential in these young people.

Prior to Career Day I had the opportunity to visit another elementary school in Fort Myers - Edison Park Elementary. There I shared my "V.I.P." message with the students and had a surprisingly intellectual Q & A session. The students were so bright and well-behaved. Getting to meet them and sign autographs afterward was truly a treat!


On Saturday, the 6th, I was back in St. Pete for the Walk for Lupus Now at Tropicana Field. I was joined by Dr. Morales and his daughter, Michelle, who has Lupus. I was honored to be a part of their fundraising and had a great time meeting and signing autographs for the participants.


I also helped FOX 13 anchor, Nerrisa Prest, draw tickets for the live auction. It was amazing to see all of the support and enthusiasm that filled the field. With all of the money raised, it was a very successful event!


Immediately following the Walk I got on the road to Orlando to perform in D & L Dance's end of the year Recital. I was invited by the owner, Lori Patai, whom I met through the Miss America's Outstanding Teen pageant as she was the RN on duty during the week. I was thrilled when she called! At the beginning of the show she introduced me on stage and I shared about how dance helped me earn scholarships through pageants. Backstage I was surrounded by little girls who were super excited to meet Miss Florida and were eyeing my crown with sly smiles...a few girls said they would gladly take it when I was done with it! It was hilarious!

I only have a few more appearances left before the 2009 Pageant, but am feeling really good about all that I have done this year. This last month is a strange time, but it as given me the opportunity to reflect and soak up this year, which is really necessary after such a grand adventure. In my final days, I am making sure I am taking time to stop and smell the roses (or as Miss Florida, the beach!) before it's too late.

Looking forward to seeing you in July!

God bless,
Sierra

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been so impressed with your year, and how you've continued your work even after Miss America! Truly inspiring what you've accomplished as Miss FL! I run a local in MN, and would love to have you one day host/judge or something! You are one my favorites from this year's Miss America pageant!