Sunday, March 22, 2009

On the road again...

Greetings!

Here's the deal...I've been without my computer for the last week! I left it at Mary's house in a state of confusion and have been trying to survive without it...therefore, this post is slightly outdated, but I wanted to put it up anyway. Imagine that it is March 22 and I just returned from the Miss Tampa pageant...

What a wonderful weekend! On Friday, Mom and I drove to Tampa for the Miss Tampa Pageant dress rehearsal. I had the pleasure of meeting all of the contestants and was super excited to see the outgoing Miss Tampa, who was my roomie at Miss Florida last summer!



On Saturday night the girls rocked it! The most thrilling part of the night was getting to co-emcee with Nicole Johnson, Miss America 1999, who was one of the judges at Miss America this year! I felt so honored to share the stage with her. She was so sweet and she made the inevitably unpredictable job of hosting so smooth and fun!


Congratulations to the new Miss Tampa, Ashley Panaggio as well as the new Miss Zephyrhills, Ashley Ramsey Baton, who was also crowned last night!


This morning mom and I followed Rob down to Lakewood Ranch where we met Dana Judge for the “Samantha’s Friends” Fundraiser Gala and Brunch. What a neat event! The inspiration for this non-profit organization is a precious young woman named Samantha Bozza. A former pageant girl herself, Samantha experienced a brain aneurism when she was 15 years-old that left her facially deformed and unable to walk. Instead of allowing her disability to stand in her way, she is using her story to as a catalyst to make a difference in the lives of disabled persons by providing selected individuals with DOGS. Meeting Samantha was truly inspirational. What an incredible, joyful, gracious, beautiful woman!

Helping raise the stakes for the live auction!

With model, actor, and soap star, Austin Peck


With actress Patrika Darbo, most recently seen on Desperate Housewives...she was hilarious!


Earlier this week I visited Naples High School where I spoke to the 9th graders about my job as Miss Florida and also shared my platform presentation.


I was invited by a freshman guy named George who selected me as a "professional whose career sounds interesting" for an assignment for one of his classes. How flattering! I had such a great time and felt so honored to have been selected. Later I learned that when George had the initial idea some of his classmates were teasing him and saying that I would never come...I was glad I could prove them wrong!

With my new friend, George!

I spent the following two days giving the “Right Decisions, Right Now” presentation at local middle schools in Fort Myers, one of which was my alma mater! It was so neat to be back there and receive such a warm welcome.



On the 14th I went to Homestead for the South Dade Red Cross Ball. I was accompanied by Ann Marie Griffin and we had a wonderful time!

With Ann Marie, doesn't she look fabulous?!

Lissette Gonzalez, Miss Florida 1998, was the hostess for the evening’s events and we judged the “Dancing With The Stars” style competition together. The dancing couples were volunteers from the community paired with local professionals. The routines were great! The fundraiser was a great success!

Me and Lissette!

The 3 Judges with the fabulous dancing couples!

My computer is on it's way to me! So I will update you with pictures when we are reunited! :) I can't wait to tell you about the Sungoddess Coronation Ball and all of the beautiful candidates I met this past week. Until then, please continue to pray for more opportunities to connect with this great state and for me to open to all of the lessons God is teaching me as Miss Florida!

Thanks and blessings,
Sierra

No comments: